DC Kaye & Co Solicitors Email us at office@dc-kaye.co.uk or call your closest branch  
01494 729024
01494 862226
01296 620443

Family | Cohabitation
There is no current system that regulates the breakdown of a relationship between couples who are not married. Relationships between non-married couples, as well as same sex couples who have not entered into a civil partnership, are not recognised as having any legal standing in English law.

It is advisable that cohabitees do the following to avoid future issues, should the relationship break down:
  • Enter into a cohabitation agreement
  • Ensure that any house purchased jointly between the couple is held in appropriate shares and take advice on whether owning the house as joint tenants or tenants in common is best for you
  • If the property is to be owned as tenants in common, then you should make new wills
We can advise on all of the above-mentioned points, as well as deal with general queries about cohabitation. We can also advise you in the event that your relationship has broken down and assets need to be divided.

To arrange an appointment to discuss with our specialist lawyers please contact the Family Department secretary Sue Harper.

Telephone: 01296 620443
Email: sue@dc-kaye.co.uk