Range of fees for a business to business debt claim
We are required to give you an estimation of the costs of certain types of work. Such estimates are quite difficult to provide accurately because the nature of litigation is that every case varies and can be quite different from any other. There is also the possibility that matters can be dealt with quite quickly or can be more complicated. We have tried in this article to give you a higher end idea of costs ie the more expensive estimate as we feel that this will be more helpful to you when planning the financing of such cases. Further and more detailed costs estimates can be provided to you after initial meetings following discussion of your specific matter.
These costs apply where your claim is in relation to an unpaid invoice which is not disputed and enforcement action is not needed. If the other party disputes your claim at any point, we will discuss any further work required and provide you with revised advice about costs if necessary, which could be on a fixed fee (e.g. if a one-off letter is required), or an hourly rate if more complex and extensive work is needed. Upon receiving your initial instructions we will supply you further estimates of costs in our client care letter and during the course of your matter but the below serves as a basic guide but please bare in mind that the actual costs may vary.
up to £5,000: Court fee
between £185 and £205 with our fee (excl. VAT)
being between £1,000 and £4,000.
between £5,001 and £10,000: Court fee
between £410 and £455 with our fee (excl. VAT)
being between £3,000 and £6,000.
of £10,001 and above: Court fee
5% of the value of the claim (but capped at £10,000) with our fee (excl. VAT)
being between £5,000 and £70,000.
Anyone wishing to proceed with a claim should note that:
- The VAT element of our fee cannot be reclaimed from your debtor.
- Interest and compensation may take the debt into a higher banding, with a higher cost.
- The costs quoted above are not for matters where enforcement action, such as the bailiff, is needed to collect your debt.
Our fee includes:
- Taking your instructions and reviewing documentation.
- Undertaking appropriate searches.
- Sending a letter before action.
- Receiving payment and sending onto you, or if the debt is not paid, drafting and issuing claim.
- Where no Acknowledgement of Service or Defence is received, applying to the court to enter Judgement in default.
- When Judgement in default in received, write to the other side to request payment.
- If payment is not received within X days, providing you with advice on next steps and likely costs.
Matters usually take 4-75
weeks from receipt of instructions from you to receipt of payment from the other side, depending on whether or not it is necessary to issue a claim. This is on the basis that the other side pays promptly on receipt of Judgement in default. If enforcement action is needed, the matter will take longer to resolve.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Counsel's fees estimated between £750 to £2,500 plus VAT (depending on experience of the advocate) for attending and representing you at Court for a one day hearing (including preparation).
CRIMINAL FEES INFORMATION GUIDANCE:
Drink driving offence, guilty plea £250 - £750
- 1 hour attendance/preparation:
- considering evidence
- taking your instructions and instructing Counsel.
The fee does not include:
- instruction of any expert witnesses
- taking statements from any witnesses
- advice and assistance in relation to a special reasons hearing
- advice or assistance in relation to any appeal
The key stages of your matter are based on the presumption that you have entered a guilty plea and have a date for your hearing.
- Meet with your solicitor to provide instructions on what happened.
- We will consider initial disclosure, and any other evidence and provide advice.
- Arranging to take any witness statements if necessary (this will have an additional cost, of £500 - £1,500.
- We will explain the court procedure to you so you know what to expect on the day of your hearing, and the sentencing options available to the court.
- We will conduct any further preparatory work, obtain further instructions from you if necessary and answer any follow up queries you have.
- We cannot provide a timescale of when your hearing will take place, as this depends on the court listing for that day.
- We will discuss the outcome with you. If advice is required on appeal, this will carry an additional cost.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as barristers. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Counsel's fees estimated between £500 to £2,500 plus VAT (depending on experience of the advocate) for attending and representing you at Court for a guilty plea which is disposed of within one day at the Magistrates’ Court (including preparation).